I know some of you will be shocked to read this. Some of you will be surprised to read this. Some of you will be happy to read this. Some of you really won’t care.
But here goes…
I am too tired to write a story.
So this is what you get:
I am grateful that my family is safe and healthy.
I am grateful that we have been promised a day or two of cooler temperatures this weekend.
I am grateful that I have a job, even though our school system – like so many others – is being inundated with unjustified, unnecessary testing.
I am grateful that my bosses don’t read my blog and that, even if they do, they will hopefully recognize that I am just tired and grumpy right now.
I am grateful that, even though I will fight with my children to do their homework tonight, at least I have children to fight with.
I am grateful that, even though I came home to a messy house, at least I have a house – and it’s filled with people I love.
I am grateful that I had the foresight to load up the crock pot this morning.
Creamy Ranch Chicken and Noodles
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 package of dry Ranch dressing mix
- 3 large frozen chicken breasts
- 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 1 pound of medium or wide egg noodles
Pour soups and stock into the bottom of your crock pot. Whisk together until smooth. Add about half of the Ranch packet and stir again. Lay the chicken breasts on top of the soup mixture and sprinkle with the remainder of the Ranch packet. Don’t stir the chicken in! Cook on low all day (6-8 hours).
When you come home:
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place onto a plate.
- Cut cream cheese into chunks and sink it into the soup mixture.
- Use a fork to shred the chicken breasts.
- When water comes to a boil, add the noodles and cook according to package directions.
- Use a whisk to combine the cream cheese with the soup mixture. You may have to stir for a few minutes as the heat from the soup melts the cream cheese.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the crock pot.
- As soon as the noodles are done, drain them and add them to the crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Collapse into chair with a warm bowl of goodness.
- Close your eyes to savor the Ranchy, cream-cheese-iness of it.
- Forget about your day for a few minutes.
Well Duh #1: I doubled the recipe. It’s easily doubled and that means that I can put some in the refrigerator to eat again later.
Well Duh #2: I was later coming home than I anticipated, so mine actually cooked for closer to 11 hours. It was totally fine. The chicken shredded really easily!
Well Duh #3: I always serve this in bowls. I only put it on a plate to take the picture because it photographs better that way.
Well Duh #4: Do not be alarmed by the lawn clippings on top of my serving. It’s finely-chopped parsley. Not at all necessary, but really pretty.
Hope you’ll try this yummy dish!
I’m going to bed early.
Which usually means sometime before 11:00.
I’m whining. I know. I’m sorry.
I’ll be better tomorrow! Promise!